Daedalic Entertainment has today announced the first major update to The Long Journey Home, the company’s ambitious space RPG, with the addition of a new ‘Story Mode.’ Designed based on feedback from the engaged community of The Long Journey Home players, this new mode offers a perfect introduction to the game, as well as a way for players to experience the aliens, questing and other parts of the diverse and colourful galaxy without being burdened by the fight for survival and some of the harsher dangers of unplanned intergalactic travel.
Especially new players are invited to try Story Mode to experience a smoother introduction to space before challenging the Adventure (formerly Explorer) and Rogue Modes, which continue to offer the same survival-focused, hardcore gameplay that has won the heart of streamers across Twitch, where every decision counts and mismanaged resources or diplomacy mean death.
Specifically, Story Mode provides a far friendlier galaxy to explore, where resources are more abundant and valuable, where aliens are more generous with their trade agreements, and featuring far more planets with Earth-like conditions and fewer extreme hazards. Players are also equipped with a more resilient Lander and additional assistance for tricky parts of the game, such as easier orbiting around planets and reduced damage from celestial threats. Additionally, the pirate presence has been reduced throughout the galaxy. With these changes, players will be free to take their time crossing the galaxy, better upgrade their ships for advanced challenges like bounty hunting, and enjoy the atmosphere and witty script instead of wondering where the next refuel is coming from.
We still recommend Adventure Mode as the ideal way to play The Long Journey Home, with Rogue Mode for the ultimate survival challenge. However, Story Mode is the perfect way to get into the game, and get to grips with its systems, as well as simply enjoying the Journey. We have however added a few quality of life additions to all modes, including the much requested secondary confirmation before destroying installed devices, and a dedicated windowed mode.
The dev team has issued a statement on Facebook, addressing the recent update: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-long-journey-home/iasa-responds-to-mission-criticism-with-new-story-mode/1033286360134872/
Daedalic will continue to monitor player feedback on The Long Journey Home and implement improvements to enhance the game in order to deliver the best adventure space game experience for its players. Join our community to let us know what you’d like to see.
CHANGELOG IN BRIEF
New Mode: Story Mode
- Reduced planetary difficulty conditions
- More abundant galactic resources
- Resources worth more in trade and for ship repair/maintenance
- Increased Lander strength
- Reduced impact/heat/environmental/drilling damage in the Lander
- Reduced fuel consumption in the Lander
- Enemies cannot lock player into Encounter
- Aliens offer more credits and more generous deals in trade
- Reduced flyover damage in event of failed orbit
- Greatly reduced pirate presence
- Larger orbit window
- Explorer mode renamed “Adventure Mode”
- Devices now require timed button press to uninstall/destroy
- Can now jump back to same system if required
- Lander roation speed and thruster agility increased
- Reduced pirate presence
- Native fullscreen mode
- Many bug-fixes and scripting tweaks